Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Beginning

So, it is 2:45am, and I am sitting in the silence of my apartment. It's interesting to think that somewhere else in the world, it's normal to be up at this hour. I realize that most, if not all, of my loved ones are asleep. I take comfort in that. I, over the years, have developed myself into a late night person, for better or for worse. Working at this hour has it's advantages. Falling asleep in my office chair this late has it's disadvantages. It's being aware of that tipping point that is the trick.

I, like Austin before me, am trying to adopt this new habit. Blogging is fairly foreign to me. I don't assume that everyone is interested in the daily grind of my life. But this could keep me accountable and motivated. There is so much to do before I start my journey. I have set in motion things that will eventually lead me to the airport, flying to a far off place. It's everything between now and then that has me second guessing my endurance.

I spoke with Austin earlier, yesterday. We are beginning to coordinate our meeting in China. He is visiting the embassy to make his way. It's now my turn to make the tentative plans on my end less so. As I turn in my invoices and receipts for the Antioch project, I am getting a better picture of what it will afford. By next week, I should have a check in hand, and will be able to purchase my around-the-world flight. I am working on several smaller freelance projects that will round out my savings and afford the remaining portion of the trip.

Beyond the freelance projects, I've been visiting with close friends, as frequently as time has permitted. This is a double-edged sword. It's great to see them, but causes me to realize who I am leaving behind, and what that means I am missing.

Reeling my thoughts back in, sitting in my office, glancing around me, I realize that there is much to do to prepare my life here to be put on hold. I have much to pack, a car to sell, a cat to put up, correspondence to finish up, and travel gear to arrange. I'm beginning to wonder if I should turn the walls of my office into the plans for my exit strategy.

My eyelids are a little heavier, and the chair is getting too comfortable. For those who will be reading this, as this blog is currently just me and my thoughts, alone in the ether, I know this will all read a little more waxed than usual. It's my first major blog entry. I'm allowed some license.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment