Friday, October 23, 2009

30 Days Notice

Yesterday I didn't accomplish quite as much as I had hoped. Between a lunch meeting, a fairly long physical therapy session, and meeting up with my parents in the evening, I was only able to get out some correspondence with a number of the NGOs I have been in communication with over the past several weeks.

So far, China has been a difficult location to find a project. EARI has not written me back, despite several attempts to get in contact with them. World Vision did respond, and was helpful. The human resources department has told me that, although we sound like an enthusiastic group, and they are jealous of our trip, there is little they can do for us. Apparently, this year has been a particularly difficult year for China, and the people are fairly sensitive to foreign presence. World Vision China is also unable to accommodate foreign volunteers, at this time, with the amount of work they are involved in, due to the changing sociopolitical climate. I decided to write ADRA after realizing that World Vision wasn't going to work out. The assistant to the director for China wrote back, and it sounded like there was the possibility of finding a placement, finally. It ends up that after several letters back and forth, the story is very similar to World Vision. ADRA doesn't have any projects that they can place us in, at this time. They only have projects for local, Mandarin-speaking volunteers with their own transportation. That's not quite us. It's looking like Austin and I may just have to show up in Beijing and do some investigating. I am going to give it one last shot, and contact OXFAM China, despite the two similar responses I have received these past couple of weeks.

I am working on finishing up the financial paperwork for the Antioch job, today. There is a lot riding on the profit from this job. I am hoping that the church will recognize the difficulty created by the construction delays, and the extra work that was put in. Even after completing the job, there have been several financial setbacks. I am just looking forward to closing it out.

So, I have given my 30 days notice to my landlords. That doesn't necessarily mean it will take me 30 days, as I am expecting to leave sooner, but it does put this trip in motion. I was hoping I would find someone to take my apartment over for me, but that is not looking like it is going to happen.

I have been woefully delinquent in the prayer department. Not that I am an overtly religious person, but most people don't realize how much I rely on faith. I need to chat with God more often. I am setting out to accomplish all of this, and have so much to do to be prepared for it, but haven't really included God in the discussions. I have a difficult time discerning what God's hand looks like in my life events. I am a typical guy. I need to be smacked in the face with something in order to recognize it. I will work on changing that.

Well, I'm off to the University. We are starting pre-production on the Center for Public Health Preparedness' influenza campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment